With the release of the Goosebumps movie only one week away, it seemed like the ideal time to dig into R.L. Stine’s autobiography, It Came From Ohio!Within a few pages, it was apparent there was another reason to read more about this this author right now: today is his birthday!
Here are the Top 5 facts we learned about R.L. Stine from his book:
1. He always wanted to dress as a ghost or a mummy for Halloween, but his mom bought him a duck costume.
2. For one year, he worked as a substitute teacher. If the students were good, he’d let them have a Free Reading Day!
3. His first book wasn’t scary, it was a guidebook called How to be Funny.
4. When he was a kid, he created Captain Grashus, “the world’s strongest, bravest, most invincible superhero.”
5. In China, his publisher made up a last name for him. Readers there know him as Kong Bu, which means “Scary.”
To learn more about this spooktacular author yourself, you’ll have to pick up a copy of It Came From Ohio!and look for other books by R.L. Stine on Reading Club flyers and online now.
book.box (bukboks) n. A cardboard receptacle, typically rectangular in shape
with lid, containing words, pictures, ideas and dreams, often
accompanied by excitement, anticipation and the love of reading.